Home Forums Oremus Welcome to Oremus!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Keymaster

Prayer is often discussed, encouraged, and poorly practiced. Personally, I have felt burden by the thought of praying. Sounds terrible, right? Well, from my youth I was taught “you should pray.” It felt like an obligation, a spiritual discipline, and an exercise in Christian virtue. In reality, prayer is such a privilege! I get to share my deepest (and lightest) thoughts with my Creator! He wants to commune with me! He wants to commune with you too.

A problem is that while we are taught to pray, we are not taught how or why. Even in seminary, as I tried to pray daily there was a strain in my will to allow other things interfere with my prayer time. I finally gave up setting aside times to pray. Instead, I simply talked with God. In the morning, when I awoke, I would simply say, “Good morning God!” Throughout the day, I talked with God about the things that I experienced. People asked me to pray for them. So, I added their concerns to my conversation. Soon, I discovered that I yearned for times to be with God.

Later, I discovered ancient forms of prayer where I could be still before God. Not talking. Not telling God my thoughts or concerns. Simply sitting with God and being filled by Him. Nurtured. Loved. I discovered praying God’s Word in a manner that I could reflect, respond, and rest in His words in Holy Scripture. Prayers that welcomed His Holy Spirit into communion. Prayers of the Divine Office prayed throughout the day in a rhythm that incorporates all of life’s activities (rather than adding another activity to a busy schedule).

Welcome to Oremus! Oremus is Latin for “Let us pray.” In the following eight sessions, we are going to discover depth in prayer. I believe that you will receive an invaluable treasure and unlock new doors in your prayers. God bless you! Let’s get started!

In Him,
    Dan+

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.