Home Forums Contemplative Prayer Forum SShel_Lsn1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    S_Shel
    Participant

As I begin this course, what do you hope to gain from this study?

My motivation for participating in this course was to gain a deeper understanding of contemplative prayer. I have been reading and studying the last few months topics such as the Benedictine way of life, monasticism and practicing the presence of God. I hope to gain a more in depth understanding and learn how to pray contemplatively.

Are you open to practice some different forms of prayer?
    Yes, I am open to this and am eager to grow in this area.

What holds you back from experiencing prayer in new ways?
    I think this type of prayer requires practice and perseverance. I have not always given this the time it deserves. Brother Lawrence talked about the perseverance required in really experiencing the presence of God moment by moment. This has encouraged me in my desire to seek God in this way, yet it has also revealed how I have not always persevered in this practice.

jennifer.tysol
    Participant

Somewhere I read or heard that a Benedictine monastic was to daily strive to be more Christ-like realizing that it will never be accomplished in this life. Walk with God and deepening that relationship is a lifelong journey and I must learn to follow God’s lead and not outrun Him.

Over time I have learned to take moments when they come and sit with them.

I am the type of person who can be restless and lose focus even when I want to be involved in what I am doing. This makes contemplative prayer a challenge but it is so sweet when I can sit with God.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.