Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum MHoggard_Lesson6_Define my Mission

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Question 3: Personal Vision and Mission

As I understand the process, a vision statement is a future-oriented or long term life goal whereas the mission statement is a present plan that identifies how gifts and activities will be used with others for a particular outcome. With that in mind, I found it easier to begin by identifying a personal vision first and then putting the pieces together in my personal mission. I am presently writing my dissertation on fruit of the Spirit studies, and the passage from Galatians 5:16-25 has been inspired my spiritual development for several years. As well, the Peace Prayer of St. Francis has been especially important in guiding my Christian service. The vision and mission exercise has been very helpful in clarifying the direction I can take with this passage and prayer defining as my centering focus.

My vision is to inspire present and future hope in others, so they might have faith that the love of God is at work throughout their lives.

My mission is to use my spiritual gifts as a researcher, writer, teacher, and servant-leader to understand and share the essence of the power of the Holy Spirit as I grow in my relationship with God through study, prayer, worship, and creative activities while learning to serve my family, friends, and faith communities through the exercise of the fruit of the Spirit.

My scriptural guidance for daily Christian practice comes from Galatians 5:16-25: “Live by the Spirit, I say, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For what the flesh desires is opposed to the Spirit, and what the Spirit desires is opposed to the flesh…But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not subject to the law. Now the works of the flesh are obvious: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, anger, quarrels, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these…By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience [forbearance], kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also be guided by the Spirit.” (New Revised Standard Version)

Peace Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
    Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
    Where there is offense, let me bring pardon.
    Where there is discord, let me bring union.
    Where there is error, let me bring truth.
    Where there is doubt, let me bring faith.
    Where there is despair, let me bring hope.
    Where there is darkness, let me bring your light.
    Where there is sadness, let me bring joy.

O Divine Master, let me not seek so much
    to be consoled as to console,
    to be understood as to understand,
    to be loved as to love,
    for it is in giving that one receives,
    it is in self-forgetting that one finds,
    it is in pardoning that one is pardoned,
    it is in dying that one is raised to eternal life.
    Amen

Blessings,
    Maggie Hoggard

Becca Sheffler
    Participant

Maggie, you have given me something to ponder. I had never considered the distinction between vision and mission. Like you, I’ve been inspired and guided by the beautiful prayer of St. Francis. But I’ve put so much emphasis on the present moment that I haven’t really given much thought to the longer view, at least not in quite some time. Thank you for challenging me to stretch my thinking! 🙂

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Thank you for your comment, Becca. I believe there is a lot of overlap between vision and mission, and the distinctions are not always clear. I don’t think the terminology is all that important if people feel they have a sense of direction that fulfills their spiritual purpose.

I’m glad you share my love of the Peace Prayer of St. Francis, and I also noticed Dr. Nobles made reference to it in Lesson 7.

I look forward to more discussion with you as we continue the course.

Blessings,
    Maggie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.