Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Question 1, Workbook page 83

One practice that helps me stay close to God is doing devotions along with contemplative prayer and participation in intercessory prayer groups. Some years ago, I led an adult Sunday school during Lent which encouraged participants to not only give up a vice or indulgence but also to ask to be filled with fruit of the Spirit. We studied how Paul’s passage in Galatians 5:16-25 looked at filling our lives with the fruit as a means of overcoming the sins of the flesh:

“Live by the Spirit, I say, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For what the flesh desires is opposed to the Spirit, and what the Spirit desires is opposed to the flesh…But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not subject to the law. Now the works of the flesh are obvious: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, anger, quarrels, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these…By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience [forbearance], kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also be guided by the Spirit.” (New Revised Standard Version)

A couple of years ago, I developed a Loving-Kindness Observance that I practice as part of my contemplative prayers and as a focus for intercessory prayer after I have completed my reading of Scripture and devotions. While this began as a Lenten activity, I now use it for my regular devotional time along with the Lord’s Prayer. The observance begins with reflection on Galatians 5:22-23, 25. Then in prayer, using a mindfulness meditation form, God is petitioned for the blessing of each spiritual quality:

May we be blessed and bless others with LOVE.
    May we be blessed and bless others with JOY.
    May we be blessed and bless others with PEACE.
    May we be blessed and bless others with PATIENT FOREBEARANCE.
    May we be blessed and bless others with KINDNESS.
    May we be blessed and bless others with GOODNESS.
    May we be blessed and bless others with FAITHFULNESS.
    May we be blessed and bless others with GENTLENESS.
    May we be blessed and bless others with SELF-CONTROL.
    May we be fruitfully and richly blessed by the love of God, the fellowship of Christ, and the aid and comfort of the Holy Spirit. Amen

Using the same meditation format, I can pray specifically for individuals by name (“May Andrew be blessed…”) or organizations (“May our Congress be blessed…”) on my prayer list during my intercessory prayer time. As well, I have learned that repeating the prayer before I face a challenging situation (“May I be blessed…”) makes them less challenging and reminds me of my commitment to walk in the power of the Holy Spirit. A bracelet I created serves as a tangible reminder to me to repeat the meditation, so I am mindful of God’s presence throughout the day.

(Note: As a Lenten practice, this blessing has been published in article form and broadcast as a full observance by United New Testament Church International Ministry Association. As well, the bracelet along with the Loving-Kindness Observance has been reproduced to raise funds for a local church.)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.