Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Question 8
    Joseph’s message in verse 20 of Genesis 50, “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good,” is the one that speaks to me most strongly. I think it shows just how powerful his faith in God is. Having that faith allows Joseph not only to survive devastating circumstances but to transcend them so that he became a better person. The forgiveness and compassion he extended to his brothers is rooted in his recognition that the pain and injustice he has suffered at the hands of others is part of God’s plan. I am an introspective person, and while I don’t always understand why things happen, I do find that reflecting on them in a prayerful attitude helps me to consider a wider perspective. In my family and other relationships, it is my faith in God that leads me to be the first person to forgive hurtful actions as well as the one who works hardest to restore harmony in times of conflict.

The difficulty that I have is that the same type of hurtful action will be repeated over and over, and I have to remind myself of the “seventy times seven” rule in Matthew 18:22. At these times, prayer and reflection help me to see my own imperfections and, as a follower of Christ, to understand my obligation to respond with kindness and even empathy. This is not to say that I don’t sometimes go through a period of anger, confusion, or depression first, but sooner or later, I return to the reassurance of Romans 8:28: “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” Another aspect of feeling the guiding power of God is recognizing that good things also come from Him, and these give me reason for deep gratitude and praise.

One film that I have used with my college students and Christian education groups is a lecture given by Dr. Rick Hanson, a neuro-psychologist, called “Take in the Good” (available at https://youtu.be/jA3EGx46r4Q ) While this is a secular presentation, Dr. Hanson’s message to overcome the negativity bias so that we can appreciate the good in life has helped me to strengthen my walk in Christ. The knowledge that evil events and actions can lead to good outcomes is born out of my faith in God, but the perspective that allows me to see the beauty and goodness in the world is evolving from ever-growing my love for Him.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.