Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum M Hoggard Lesson 7 Spiritual Priorities

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Keymaster

Maggie is experiencing some technical challenges to post this lesson. While we are working through that issue, please review her insights regarding Lesson 7 of Crafting a Rule of Life…

Question 5. Discuss how you are seeking to enhance your personal prayer life experience – preserving time and space alone with God as unhurried, unhindered, and uncluttered. If you are willing, share your spiritual priorities for time.

In a way, I think I jumped ahead a little in my post for Lesson 7 with my reflections on Galatians 5:16-25 and the Peace Prayer of St. Francis have influenced my daily Christian practice and vision and mission. I would identify finding (or making) time to be alone with God as the greatest necessity to enhance not only my prayer life and spiritual growth but also my greatest challenge. There are many “distractions” that make establishing a daily rhythm of the day difficult for me to maintain, and it honestly can feel self-indulgent (that internalized Mary-Martha conflict) to shut myself in a private prayer closet or to take time for spiritual study. For instance, my husband was hospitalized for life threatening viral and bacterial infections this past month, and though he is at home now, he has had a number of outpatient tests and procedures, and he will be having surgery after Thanksgiving. His health of course has to take priority over much of what I have planned, but I have learned from past experience that it is particularly important not to lose sight of my devotional and prayer time when dealing with crises.

Making time for study and prayer by getting up very early in the morning has been helpful, but even more so is developing an attitude that doesn’t confine my study and companionship with God to a particular time and place. Dr. Nobles recommended that I read “The Practice of the Presence of God” by Brother Lawrence in his response to my post in our Silos discussion forum, and his attitude was to be in constant communion with God throughout all of his activities. While he took part in the seven daily “offices” of Matins, Terse, Sext, None, Vespers, Compline, and Prime, he considered these to be less of a priority in his spiritual life than experiencing the presence of God throughout the entire day, and considering even his most menial tasks in the light of service to Him. While I am very far from a spirituality that reaches this plane, experiencing the presence of God and praying to Him anytime and anywhere is something I have practiced to a greater or lesser degree throughout my life. Brother Lawrence’s attitude is one I would like to wholeheartedly develop as I move forward.

Nevertheless, I find structure does help me focus, so undertaking online courses (such as this one) and outcome-based independent studies does give me a sense of spiritual discipline. The flexibility of arranging my study time around other priorities does remain a challenge, however, and I believe this crafting a rule of life experience will lead me to a workable balance as I seek to enhance “the practice the presence of God” in all of my activities and relationships.

Blessings,

Maggie Hoggard

Becca Sheffler
    Participant

Maggie, first of all let me offer my prayers and support as you deal with your husband’s health issues. I do hope you’ll have a restful holiday, and that the surgery goes smoothly. Blessings to both of you!

I completely identify with both the necessity of structure and with the challenges of achieving it. I personally find the offices deeply meaningful, but not as much as “connecting” with God in a less formal manner throughout the day. Like you, I’m definitely not on Br. Lawrence’s level, but keep working on growing in that direction.

I recently read another wonderful little book, “The Sign of the Cross” by Bert Ghezzi. Although not as deep as Br. Lawrence’s book, it has given me several practical ideas to use throughout the day. It’s a light read. I’d highly recommend it.

Blessings,
    Sr. B

Anonymous
    Inactive

Take-aways so far.
    Two over—arching core lessons I think are of fundamental value: First, one must have structure. Although this covers a wide range of areas, the structure of praying the Daily Office, is the most important to me. Faithfully offering these prayers interspersed throughout the day keeps Christ before us continuously.

Secondly, the setting aside a time each day, with regularity and predictability, in silence and solitude to simply commune with our Lord has proven to be of such value to me that it takes priority over whatever else is happening in my life.

Very powerful lessons learned and implemented.

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Thank you for your comments. Sr. Becca, I appreciate your recommendation of the book The Sign of the Cross by Bert Ghezzi and have read over the preview. I was struck by the author’s connection between the symbol of the sign of the cross and the impact that the ritual of signing had on his daily life and spiritual growth. I will add this book to my Christmas list. Br. Monty, I appreciate your reflections on the importance of having structure, especially in the form of the Daily Office, that follows a regular routine. These are areas I struggle with in the face of cares, concerns, and distractions that drain time, health, and energy, but that I will continue to cultivate and faithfully apply in my devotional and prayer life.

Blessings,
    Maggie Hoggard

Danny
    Keymaster

I just want to commend you all for engaging one another in this study? I am convinced that the greatest learning comes from sharing ideas and practicalities by one another as you wrestle through the material. My role is to introduce you to new, different, or old concepts presented in new light. Learning comes from your interaction with the material and with one another. It is exciting for me to read your thoughts an encouragement. This is the way adult learning is beneficial.

God bless and keep you all!

In Him,
    Fr. Dan, OSB

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.