Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum Living Without Silos

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Keymaster

Maggie, thanks for sharing. I have lived much of my life this way. There was the professional me, the parenting me, the Church me, the fun me, and many other mes that I couldn’t keep it altogether. Like a Swiss Army Knife, I had many tools in my quiver, but none of them were very good. As I read about the contemplatives, I began to see a different way of living – only one me even in various settings. But that left me with another dilemma, “who am I really?” Much is written about true self and false self. Still, I approached those topics with an academic mindset. Not until I discovered the foundation of my identity, did I begin to scratch the surface of living life as a rhythm (rather than in silos). Brother Lawrence’s “The Practice of the Presence of God” was very helpful. My epiphany was that being loved by God is more than just the relationship that He has with me, much more! It is truly the source of my identity. Now if asked, “who are you?” my response is “I am God’s beloved!” The reality is that you are too! Grace & peace, Dan+

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Dr. Nobles, thank you for your comments and for the recommendation. I’ve downloaded an ebook version of Brother Lawrence’s book along with a devotional guide and look forward to studying them in the coming weeks. I love your insight into how you came to see your identity as one who is beloved by God. Upon reflection, who could want for anything greater than that?

Blessings,
    Maggie

Becca Sheffler
    Participant

Hi all! I’m on the road again. I’m doing a bit better, I think, at being a consistent me, whether on the road or at home. But life prior to this trip was very full, and I am reveling in the chance to pull away and relax. Through the centuries, men and women of God have recognized the value of retreating periodically from their everyday lives to find refreshment and recalibrate their relationship with the Almighty. What do you all see as the relevance of this bit of wisdom as it relates to our discussion of living without silos?

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

That’s a very good question, Sister Becca. It does seem wise to take a retreat in lives so busy that we feel we have to compartmentalize all of our tasks into silos. I think such retreats would offer not only a chance to renew our spirits and refresh our minds and bodies, but also provide an opportunity to reevaluate our priorities. Even a mini-retreat, like this course, can help us identify our core values and work towards wholeness in our daily lives that reflects God as our center.

Blessings,
    Maggie Hoggard

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.