Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum Lesson 3, Question 4

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jeffrbassett
    Participant

In the coming week, how will you lean into the joy of developing your skills and gifts for the benefits of others?

In my ministry, the pressure is often on the administrative and visionary roles. These are the roles that, so it is imagined, build a church into the future. But my gifts and heart are for deepening of the faith through discipleship, prayer, and education. As I craft this rule of life, I am eager to discover how I can develop habits of teaching and prayer that will open up pathways in the church for others who can press forward in the administrative and entrepreneurial roles that are so necessary in the life of a congregation. Maybe the key is simply in that phrase “for the benefit of others”. If these gifts and skills are developed for the good of others, which is ultimately for my own good and salvation, it is not too crazy to imagine that people gifted in administration and vision will desire their own deepening.

What I confess here is that this requires me to relinquish the person I am not. I am not anyone except the person God has gifted me to be and I believe that those gifts are enough for the places that God has placed me. Lord I believe, help my unbelief!

In the next week, I would like to keep to a practice, possibly during my Daily Examen, to confess when I have tried to force myself to be someone I am not. To be a pastor or leader that I have not been gifted to be. Today was the first Psalm. The person who is blessed and happy is the one whose delight is the Law of the LORD. He is planted, whereas the wicked are driven about like the wind. And unlike the wicked, the righteous one’s path is guarded by the LORD. There is no need for him to guard his own path. May it be so with me and with all of us.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.