Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum Focus on gifts also brings focus on doing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

As I pondered the necessity of “being”, I also pondered “doing”. I have known people who were the quintessential volunteers for every worthwhile effort. I’ve often admired them. In thinking about a couple of specific people- incredibly generous with their time, talent, and treasure- I realized something about them both: They love the recognition. Naturally, being ever present, they become the story. When they report on their activities, there are lots of “I’s” and not so many “we’s”.
    I couldn’t begin to assign a motive to their obsessive volunteer work- after all, regardless of motive, the people that one feeds, and that the other ministers to at the homeless shelter benefit hugely from their generous giving of their time.

But I do wonder. Are their use of their gifts and talents a result of their inspired desire to serve God by serving his people? Or is it from a desire to be seen as a servant?

I thought of this because at the food kitchen, two little old ladies are always there. Never speaking, never offering advise not issuing instructions. Not even socializing. they just “do”. Every Thursday, without fail, they show up, get to work, and the moment the cleaning up is done, they leave. I don’t even know their names.

So many lessons to be learned. God commands us to serve. I think those two little old ladies are the model I want to follow when I “do”.

Becca Sheffler
    Participant

Monty, I’ve been thinking about your post this week as the couple of volunteer jobs I was doing have seemed to dry up and I’m wondering what to “do” next. I’ve been taught from the cradle, at least by implication, that recognition is a good thing. But Jesus had a few things to say about putting stock in the recognition of men. What does that say about this season of my life? What is really going on in my heart? Am I living by my culture’s “shoulds”? Or am I willing to be obscure? Pondering…

Deana Burnham
    Participant

Brother Monty

A lot of contrast popped into my mind about the apparent narcissist-types and the humble servants who take care of what needs doing or cleaning and such and then goes on to the next thing the Lord has for them in relative obscurity. But yeah, I know the ones who must be the stars of the show–nothing to be admired really. Just thanked for the contribution. A duty one pays them. But like you, I admire the “little old ladies” in life as the ones you described so well.

My own need has not been so much for recognition for volunteer work; It has not been a glaring problem for me. But seeking after the approval of others by achieving something my heart was not in — Oh but my ego was–that’s something I have done–a fault I’ve practiced. As much as I’ve so often said over the course of my life that I did not like competition and that Id much rather compete with myself by simply bettering myself, it seems I have at important times found myself too proud of some accomplishment. I think a lot of my faults might be revealed quickly by the Lord. It seems if I do not notice them, He will allow some circumstance in life to smack me down to size. And I don’t mean to sound uncharitable towards myself–although I can do that too, LOL, but here I’m honestly admitting that the Lord has chastised me. Often it has been with a screaming conscience. But first, I am often embarrassed because someone else must have noticed how my character was in question by perhaps, an offending comment I said. In other words, or to bring out my point, it is sometimes embarrassment rather than true conscience which gets me first! Ego! Then later on, sooner I hope, I can scrutinize from a better condition of heart by considering all the factors, mainly a person or people with (a)name/s and face/s, hurt by what I did or failed to do, whatever the situation might be. That is when true contrition is possible and change small as it is can begin again. Then with gods help I can choose to use God’s gift/s from a more Christ and other centered state, rather than a me-, me-, me-centered state of mind.

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

I read this conversation with interest. I would like to say that when I am serving others, I don’t need recognition, and I know that I go out of my way to make sure that others receive gratitude and praise for their contributions whenever I can. There have been times, however, when I have poured considerable effort and resources into projects with (or so I tell myself) no expectation of recognition or reward, only to have someone else publicly claim the credit for what I have done. And I have to ask myself, if I wasn’t expecting any attention or gratitude, why did it bother me or hurt me so much when that happened? Shouldn’t I just be able to accept this as “a lesson in humility” and thank God for it? These occasions bring me face to face with my “flawed humanity.” It actually makes me smile to reflect back on my imperfect reactions at those times.

On the other hand, not too long ago, I heard a sermon on the importance for Christians to let others know what they are doing and why they are doing it so recognition for their efforts can bring glory to God. The point was that such efforts are a powerful way for Christians to witness to others as servants of Christ for the benefit of others. Not calling attention to our good works undertaken in His name, therefore, was akin to hiding the light that God wants to shine forth under a bushel. The minister concluded that knowing the Christian motivation to show love through service would help to draw others into the Christian faith. It definitely was food for thought. Still, I hope I can be mature enough to always remember that even if I am performing Christian service as an individual, it is as a representative of a corporate body of Christians. Subduing that pesky ego that keeps popping up can be a real struggle sometimes. 😏

Blessings
    Maggie Hoggard

James 4:10: “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.