Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum Considering King David’s Story

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Becca Sheffler
    Participant

I am struck by how thoroughly David owns his sin, and yet does not wallow in guilt. By relying on the mercy of God, he still sees a future for himself and for Israel. And so this is not about David’s own goodness, but about God’s goodness. David’s sin is not minimized in any way. But God’s mercy is the remedy for even the worst of sins, which are never greater than God’s ability to heal.

My own tendency is to acknowledge my sin, and immediately excuse myself. “Yes, I’m guilty, but…” If I do own my sin, I then tend to wallow in the failure, which only compounds the problem.

God, however, not only heals, but restores. Am I really free, I wonder, to serve Him and others if I do not embrace the restoration He offers?

Danny
    Keymaster

Nice!

I agree, Sr. Becca. David did lament and “own” every bit of sins. My own experience with sin is different than yours though. I tend to not let go of my faults. I struggle with allowing God to heal me and move forward. I often beat myself up over my sins and still think of even little things done wrong today. While it is healthy, to be repentant and cognizant of our mistakes, it is unhealthy to focus on them. I often identify with David as I thought that some of his writings seemed to carry the same toll on his heart as my sins take a toll on mine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.