Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum c newbern Crafting a Rule of Life Lsn 3

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    carol newbern
    Participant

Good Morning, Beginning to attempt Lectio Divina as I think it is “supposed” to be done. My mind is a bit more scattered and my prayers are more conversational than “deep and mystical”. I berate myself for not desiring to run into lengthy quiet time with God who I desire and know I am desperately in need of His help. SO…to “practice His presence” through His word I am memorizing the passages that jump out. Feels more like I am “doing” something..than just sitting there.:)
    carol newbern

Danny
    Keymaster

Carol, I commend you for trying Lectio. It, like all contemplative prayers, takes some time. For me, it has been like those old “magic eye” pictures that one would stare at until their eyes went out of focus and then the 3D image would pop out. Take your time. Read a short passage slowly. Don’t try to memorize anything. Just read aloud and allow yourself to hear the Word. Then sit in silence for about 3 minutes. I suggest setting a timer on your phone so that you aren’t waiting or guessing. Sitting a timer takes one more thing off of your plate. Then read the passage aloud AND SLOWLY a second time to just reflect on the scripture. Again, sit quietly for 3 minutes and allow a word or a phrase or an image to just bubble up. That is God’s Holy Spirit giving your spirit something to grasp. Read the passage aloud and SLOWLY a third time. This time as you still your soul for 3 minutes, you may feel a groan, a word, a prayer, or some other responses swell up in you. That is fine. Allow yourself to respond to the scripture. Finally, read the passage slowly and aloud a fourth time. This time just allow yourself to rest in the presence of God. Don’t place any demands or expectations on what you are doing. When you are distracted by thoughts or sounds, don’t fight them. Simply acknowledge their presence and let them go. You don’t need to expend any energy in fighting them. This helps us simply accept grace as it is given. I hope this helps you. God bless, Abbot Dan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.