Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum Becca Sheffler-Crafting a Rule-Spiritual Priorities

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Becca Sheffler
    Participant

In terms of time, my daily and weekly rhythms are pretty well established. But monthly, quarterly, and annual rhythms are still being formed. The church provides some structure in terms of annual rhythms, but my personal rhythms need to be defined and incorporated. What are you all including as priorities in your monthly, quarterly, and annual rhythms?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Becca, I get what you’re saying. Before I retired, my “rhythms” were always defined by outside events. There was always something coming up at my business, or with my children, that truly defined me. As a Warden if my church, I spent most Saturday’s and Sunday’s, there. That was about the only consistent rhythm in my life. Frankly, I spent too much time at the church, in retrospect.

Today, I’m retired. The kids are grown, and younger men take up the routine tasks required to keep a church- the physical and the people- running smoothly.

So, living alone, I have a lot of time, and blessed silence- on my hands. Of course my accident has interrupted my plans for the last 6 months, with a few more months to go.
    I became a Benedictine monk for two reasons: I wanted to draw myself much closer to my Lord, and understood that by following the 1500 year, time proven, Benedictine way would facilitate and educate me toward doing that. The required personal discipline has helped me to do that far more than I expected. It was a sound decision.
    Secondly, in any volunteer effort, the leaders go through a period where they learn what volunteers are serious, whether they are trustworthy or not, and what their motives for their service really are. That whole process is skipped when you show-up in a habit. People instinctively trust monks, nuns, and clerics- although the Catholic scandal may have tarnished that a bit. Still, I am able to jump right in at the church and homeless shelter, and immediately begin service. Many might not know my name (which suites me fine) but they know they can assign a task to “the monk” without further concern.
    Anyway, I strive for that rhythm of praying the offices, and serving the less fortunate WITHOUT personal recognition wherever I can, for as long as I’m physically able. I’m really pretty happy with this plan.

Deana Burnham
    Participant

Oh wow, Sr Becca! I confess, I know a better practice, but my first response to your question is to answer, I am a disorganized mess!

But, truthfully, I think the enemy of Christ would like me to believe that lie. Yes. I must go dig out of my storage compartment my Benedictine breviary–the size of which scares me to death! I know how to use a Roman Missal. I can use the Book of Common Prayer, and I love and personally prefer to use my Orthodox Prayer book. But we are required for good reason I totally trust to use the breviary. And so my grandson who wants to be an Oblate will be sent LOL to fetch that book specifically. And I will obediently and gladly learn to use it!

The Morning Office, Listening to the written word of God is so important for my well being and practice of obedience, helps with stability, reminds me of the importance of simplicity, and chastity too. Why? The practice of meditating on and contemplating the readings of the day reminds me of who I am in Christ. I’m learning that feeding on the word means an intimate connection with Jesus. Blending as Fr Nobles says, with Jesus, and so to become Christ-like.
    I usually think a lot. I try to be careful not to be anxious. Sr Joan Chittester, OSB warns that we must distinguish between mulling things over and genuine meditation.

I try to speak to God from my heart to. It takes time to get to that place of an open heart, unless I’m in real pain that’s surfacing, welling up–then I can just pour out my heart. I think of “Take up your cross daily and follow me.” I must examine my cross today and learn of it intimately. Doing this will help me know what I can do which will be pleasing to God and how I must love and serve others.

Becca Sheffler
    Participant

Something relatively new to me, which may help to shape that annual rhythm, is the observance of the feast days of saints. Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been using an audio version of the Daily Office which incorporates information about the saint(s) whose feast is that day. It’s a beautiful, regular reminder about our history as God’s people and, more importantly, about the communion of the saints, of which we are a part. I’ve been richly blessed already.

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

One way I have learned to appreciate the rhythms of the Christian year on a weekly, seasonal, and yearly basis is by becoming familiar with the Revised Common Lectionary. My ministerial association provides a round table weekly podcast on Thursdays to discuss the Lectionary readings for the following Sunday and to explore their significance in their time and in the present day. My church uses a narrative lectionary for readings and sermons, but I also like having the scriptural foundation of the more traditional approach.

Becca Sheffler
    Participant

What a great idea! The lectionary is something I take for granted. It’s something “other people” use. I’m just the recipient of their knowledge when I attend a service or pray the offices with an audio app. But there’s no reason I can’t develop a working familiarity with the lectionary readings and their significance. Thanks!

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

I grew up in a faith tradition that was strongly scripturally based and have read the Bible through several times, done my share of regular devotions readings, and study parts of it in some depth. I read something recently, though, that compared the organization of knowledge that many people have of Scripture to a bunch of post-it notes stuck on a refrigerator. That description seemed a little too close for comfort! I find the Lectionary discussions have helped me see a more organized structure to how Scripture relates to the Christian year.

Blessings,
    Maggie

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the tenets of Benedictine life is thee consistent practice of “lectio divina”, the slow, thoughtful process of examining a scriptural passage.

I recommend practicing this with the daily readings, as well as reading a study-Bible analysis, to absorb the full flavor of each verse. Sometimes, the passage isn’t of particular significance, or understood on the face of it; other times a single passage can be a revelation.

This is very rewarding, but admittedly very time-consuming. I’ve no recommendation for speeding the process, though.

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Thank you for this tip, Br. Monty. I love your advice “to absorb the full flavor of each verse.” I think you are absolutely right that this is a time-consuming process that is well worth the effort.

Blessings,
    Maggie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.