Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum Becca Sheffler-Crafting a Rule-Physical Priorities

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Becca Sheffler
    Participant

Our culture seems to be obsessed with health, yet is deeply unhealthy. The information available to us on physical wellness is prolific, but much of it is conflicting. Where I live, we are in the midst of what some are calling a crisis with opioid addiction, despite public education campaigns. Health and exercise clubs and classes are widely available, yet obesity is at epidemic levels.

Enough! I am drawn to simple, common sense practices. Michael Pollan’s food rules are 1) Eat good food, 2) Not too much, and 3) Mostly plants. My doctor has said that I don’t need to waste money or time on fancy gyms or gimmicks. I just need to walk.

Monastics are known for having lengthy life spans. Could it be that the rhythms and moderation of our way of life are just what we need for physical health? Did our ancient fathers and mothers have the wisdom in care for our bodies that the world so desperately needs?

What do you all think? And how do we meet the modern challenges to this simple, rhythmic way of living?

Deana Burnham
    Participant

Sr Becca,

I think I know what you mean. You have inspired me to contemplate this idea. Good health is almost common sense, and basic to a little education that can be passed on by word of mouth. If I may say so, I think you gave a good example in mentioning your doctor’s advice.
    Your doctor seemed to place physical health in its proper perspective.

Monastic life for me is the heart and soul of a life that could otherwise drift away from the Lord, speaking of myself.
    So I need the Rule of Benedict like a fish needs water and mammals need air. Years ago, I proved that fact. 12 Step groups for “dusfunctionals,” LOL, helped tremendously. Later, however, I discovered that the Bible would provide me with everything I needed if and when I was willing to study, pray, and obey. Monastic life particularly St Benedict’s Rule appealed to me–and I mean spoke to me as the devoted life of the gospel that I needed to apply in a deeper way. The well know Mother Angelica of Eternal Word Television Network shared that her vocation as a nun was a means God used to save her soul. She admitted to having a bad temper and living a focused religious life in communion with the Lord and her sisters was a healthy response to gain victory over her weakness.
    In making our spiritual life the priority, I wonder if our physical health and other priorities can become more easily determined.

Deana Burnham
    Participant

Sr Becca,

I think I know what you mean. You have inspired me to contemplate this idea. Good health is almost common sense, and basic to a little education that can be passed on by word of mouth. If I may say so, I think you gave a good example in mentioning your doctor’s advice.

Monastic life for me is the heart and soul of a life that could otherwise drift away from the Lord, speaking of myself.
    So I need the Rule of Benedict like a fish needs water and mammals need air. Years ago, I proved that fact. 12 Step groups for “dusfunctionals,” LOL, helped tremendously. Later, however, I discovered that the Bible would provide me with everything I needed if and when I was willing to study, pray, and obey. Monastic life particularly St Benedict’s Rule appealed to me–and I mean spoke to me as the devoted life of the gospel that I needed to apply in a deeper way. The well know Mother Angelica of Eternal Word Television Network shared that her vocation as a nun was a means God used to save her soul. She admitted to having a bad temper and living a focused religious life in communion with the Lord and her sisters was a healthy response to gain victory over her weakness.
    In making our spiritual life the priority, I wonder if our physical health and other priorities can become more easily determined.

Deana Burnham
    Participant

Sr Becca,

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Thank you for your thought-provoking reflections, Sr. Becca and Sr. Deana. I can’t speak to the qualities of a monastic life though I believe in the value of following a rule of life so that honoring God is the center of all activities. I appreciate the simple advice for eating and exercise that you offer, Sr. Becca, and Sr. Deana, your question about whether making spiritual life a priority might also support physical health is definitely one worth exploring. In particular, given the well-documented toll that stress takes on our physical and mental well-being and the way in which it contributes to damaging habits and behaviors, spending time in spiritual relationship with God could surely benefit our overall health.

Blessings,
    Maggie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.