Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum Becca Sheffler-Crafting a Rule-Finances

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Becca Sheffler
    Participant

I was puzzling over exactly how this portion of my rule should look and discussed it with a dear friend. She pointed out that a “philosophy” is different from an “action”. This clarification really helped me. I was trying to shape statements such as, “I will only spend X amount on…” or “I will refrain from spending on…” She helped me to see that circumstances are unpredictable, and therefore these sorts of statements are difficult to draft in a way that can be feasibly followed at all times. But statements such as, “I will seek to live generously and will seek to understand what will contribute to the long term welfare of others in making giving decisions” are much more flexible. They can be applied in any number of ways depending on individual circumstances.

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Sr. Becca, I believe your rule has great power as a principle to follow for managing finances, and I will borrow your format for developing my own guideline. Thank you for walking us through the process that led you from something specific yet transient to a more universal statement that demonstrates a permanently wise and charitable purpose for stewardship.

Blessings,
    Maggie

Becca Sheffler
    Participant

Thanks, Maggie!

My recent challenge in this area has actually come from Chapter 39 of the Rule of Saint Benedict. It is about the proper amount of food, but the principles apply equally well to use of finances:

“Above all overindulgence is avoided.” And “in all matters frugality is the rule.”

Now to actually apply these to the vicissitudes of life!

Blessings,
    Sr. B

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Very useful advice! Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.