Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum Becca Sheffler-Crafting a Rule-Desires and Values

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Becca Sheffler
    Participant

Did anyone else struggle to identify with Peter and Ockenga in connection with identifying desires, passions and goals? I found this entire lesson to be very beneficial. In fact, I had a few rather profound insights, I think. However, although Peter and Ockenga were certainly passionate and focused, I realized I am more inspired by monastic types who live(d) quiet lives of devotion, love, and wisdom. These seem to be more in line with the passions and desires I identified within myself. Can anyone else relate?

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

I have a theory that our weaknesses are sometimes our strengths taken to extreme. For instance, I have a critical mind that have served me very well as a writer, editor, and writing instructor. It is, however, not always the trait that is most desirable in a spouse.

When I read about Peter, I am struck by what a strong character he was, and I recognize how necessary that quality was to the founding of our faith. At times, though, he lacked humility and patience with the other disciples and even with Christ. His pride led him to make a promise to Jesus that he could not keep, which made his denial all the more devastating. But perhaps that downfall led him to more humility, patience, and compassion he needed to be fit to be the rock on which the church was founded. Certainly, without his denial of Jesus, he too would have been in mortal danger, so even that betrayal gives me faith that God had a deeper purpose.

I think that, like you, I am most comfortable in a quiet life in Christian faith. Sometimes I am shaken out of my comfort zone, and I am still struggling to discern when that might be necessary for growth in Christ and when it leads me away from who I am truly meant to be.

Blessings,
    Maggie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.