Home Forums Crafting a Rule of Life Forum Becca Sheffler-Crafting a Rule-Community

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Becca Sheffler
    Participant

I’ve been deeply convicted during this lesson regarding my failure to actively contribute to the unity of the local church. We all have our own ideas, and I’ve been much to quick not only to criticize, but to do my own thing. If even one of us acts this way, we can never be truly unified. And so I must take responsibility and repent. I need to actively demonstrate a desire for unity by my words and actions, and encourage others to do the same. Any thoughts on how we can specifically do this?

Margaret Hoggard
    Participant

Sr. Becca, I responded to this lesson by writing about an experience a few years ago that led to me leaving a church, so I am not sure that I can answer your question on how to bring about unity. It may well be that the critical voice you raise is in fact important to keeping the church on the right track and that what you consider doing your own thing is actually contributing to the overall health of the church. Beyond that, I believe there is a great deal of diversity of visions, missions, and talents within a congregation, and as long as everyone is operating under the overall mission and values of the larger church, there are many ways to contribute to the unity of the church. The healthiest congregations I have seen come together in deep reverence, gratitude, and celebration during worship, have lots of small groups reflecting the talents and gifts of members so that they can serve accordingly, and have many learning opportunities. And of course they eat together regularly! I bet if you wrote down all of the ways you have contributed, you might not be so hard on yourself. Is it possible that one way you can support church unity is by recognizing all the ways you have benefited others and acknowledged the strength you bring as an individual is a way of up-building the whole body of Christ?

May God be with you,
    Maggie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.